Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'M SO EXCITED!


I'm so excited I could just.... well, why don't you suggest a caption for this picture? It might give me an idea who reads this. Give it a try. Thanks.
My excitement stems from the fact that in the basement I found a box of old pictures. Wouldn't you know it was the last box, on the bottom, in the closet where I have a stack of blue bins/boxes. I haven't dug all the way through the box but I did find a blue folder I was looking for with specific pictures to use in my next blog.
-All this excitement started me thinking how photography has changed during my lifetime. Pictures serve as a link with the past and people/family we have never met. There are few pictures of my great grandparents and of course they are in black and white. Early pictures of my grandparents, parents and I are in B&W as well. Color film was available but more expensive and costlier to develop. It also took longer to have film developed. Cameras were also a lot more primitive. Special film was needed for indoor pictures and flash attachments or bulbs were needed. In my search for old pictures I have come across some old cameras that your mom and I have. They are still in "good" condition but is there still film available for them? In stores today even 35mm film is getting hard to find with a limited selection. Digital cameras are the rage today. Snap a picture and see it instantly. If it's not a good picture, delete it and try again. Post it on the internet and people across the country can see it in a matter of moments. Just this week I received pictures of my new grandaughter Molly Margareit Kirkpatrick on the internet. These are probably not pictures she would want posted on her 16th birthday. But they do serve a purpose which is to communicate family historical events and create memories. Years from now we can look at them and be so excited we could.......(remember you fill in the blank)
As a postscript, just as Molly would be less than excited about some of her early pictures years from now, there are some pictures in the box I found that YOU will never see on the internet. So enjoy the one you see here. -30-

1 comment: