Monday, October 4, 2010

September 22, 1951

Not many people who read this blog were around on September 22, 1951. I know I certainly was not. However, it is an important date in Campbell family history. You guessed it. It was the day Rita Yvonne Bear married James Glenn Campbell. There is not a whole lot I can say so I'll let these few pictures do the talking.

The first picture is the newspaper wedding announcement. In case the article is not clear...."Mr. and Mrs. F.E. Bear, 903 West Turner, announce the engagement of their daughter, Rita Yvonne, to James G. Campbell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter B. Campbell of Strafford. The bride-elect is a graduate of Senior High and Mr. Campbell attended Poteau, Okla., Junior College and SMS. Tentative wedding plans are for September."

This next picture is from the Wedding reception which was held at the home of Grandpa and Grandma Bear, 903 W. Turner. Note the writing around the edge of the picture. I'm guessing Mom wrote it. I'm sorry to say I don't know where the wedding was held. My guess would be at Woodland Heights Presbyterian Church. I should really ask Aunt Betty, Aunt Veda or someone else who was there. I don't remember seeing any pictures of the wedding itself. I do remember seeing a picture of a wedding shower (?) that showed a humpty-dumpty cookie jar with salt and pepper shakers. I can remember getting many cookies out of that jar while I was growing up. Mom gave that set to me several years ago and it is a much treasured family heirloom.




Some people who attended the wedding/reception are shown in this last picture. The original picture shows four people but I only included three here. The woman on the right is Grandma Campbell and the woman on the left is Aunt Colean (uncle Don's wife/Mike's mom) I don't know the woman in the middle, but she was someone who took time to be at this special ocassion.

There are many special dates in our family that give us opportunity to remember those we love, those that have "gone before us" and those we never had ocassion to meet. We mark our lives and family history by those dates. As years go by those dates become less and less important, but the memories of the people they represent never do. Take a few moments to remember special dates and those special people. -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment