Monday, February 23, 2009

The Campbell Place, Part 2


One of the decisions in writing this blog is whether or not to write chronologically or topically. Since I'm writing about the farm, this would probably be the time to write about the years my Dad owned the farm. After Grandpa Campbell (Walt) died my Dad and Mom bought the farm. I'm not sure exactly when it was but it was after your mom and I were married.
While I was in college Dad began a venture of raising cattle. He raised Herefords which are the red cow with a white face. He began with five cows and kept them on land he rented from Frank Wright. The Wright's had lived on land behind our house, about 5 acres. They had moved out west of Lebanon but still owned the land. Today the Nazarene Church is on that property. When I was home from college Dad would call from work about 3:00 in the afternoon and want me or one of my brothers to look out the back window and see if the cows were in sight. It was kind of funny, cause he used to call us at home before he got the cows and ask how we were. Over time Dad moved the cattle to another piece of property north of Lebanon, I'm not sure why, but by then his "herd" was a little larger. He had also acquired a pickup truck with "bald" tires. I remember once that Dad drove around the field in winter while one of my brothers threw hay out the truck while I jumped up and down in the bed of the truck to give added traction so we wouldn't get stuck in the snow. Eventually he and mom bought the farm in Strafford from Grandma Campbell but she could stay there at the house if she wanted. Dad had the old barn torn down and replaced it. Seems like he kept a tractor and other farm things in it. I remember going with him one saturday in winter to check on the cows, visit Grandma and in general check on the farm. There was snow/ice in the farmyard and it seems like we spent most of our time getting the "bald" pickup truck out of the snow/ice. I think Dad finally ended up with a herd of about 20-30 cows.
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment