Thursday, February 26, 2009

Time Out: Jennifer Takes a Stand




A very important event took place 30 years ago this Sunday. Jennifer Campbell Hughes was born. In honor of her birthday I will share with you a "new" Jennifer story I'll title "Jennifer Takes a Stand".


It was the night of the Raytown South Middle School Orchestra Concert. All of the Orchestras from middle school would be playing, including the 4th Grade Orchestra. Jennifer was a proud member of this group, came home after school and informed me that she needed a music stand. With so many students/groups performing the school did not have enough music stands for everyone. So, Jennifer and I went to School Music Service, across the street from FBC Raytown, to get her a music stand. Our budget would not allow for a sturdy, expensive Manhasset stand so we looked at the inexpensive wire stands. Jennifer made a selection and we returned home to prepare for the concert.


Miss Holiday, the Orchestra teacher, introduced the 4th Grade Orchestra and they played their first selection. We noticed that some of the students were standing. After the applause, Miss Holiday told us that students who had memorized the song were allowed to stand since they didn't need to look at the music. As the concert progressed we noticed that Jennifer continued to stand and by the time 4th Grade Orchestra was finished, Jennifer had stood for every song. She had the whole concert memorized. Did she need a music stand? You bet! Happy Birthday Jennifer. -30-

1 comment:

  1. And I still need a stand today and I don't have one! What I play is no longer memorized.
    I think I lost that wire stand in Europe on the bus... Poor music stand.

    ReplyDelete