Sunday, March 8, 2009

Golden Gloves




The information contained in this entry is some that I have wanted to share for a long time. However, my knowledge of Dad's boxing is pretty limited. I remember playing with some of Dads trophies when I was small, seeing some pictures in a scrapbook, going with Dad to the Springfield Boy's Club when I was 3-4 when he would watch some of the kids work out. Dad also talked about his boxing experience but I don't recall a lot of details. He was also a big fan of boxing when I was growing up, especially Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali.

I have Aunt Colean and Grandma Rita to thank for most of the material I'll present. Aunt Colean sent me some pictures and information from Uncle Don's boxing notebook. Thanks for the help and here goes.....ding, ding! Round One


My Dad and his oldest brother Don boxed for the 449 Club in Springfield, Missouri. Uncle Don boxed in the 160 lb. novice class and Dad boxed in the 135 lb. novice class. From what I remember seeing in articles they had matches against boxing clubs from other towns. Locally their matches were held at the Shrine Mosque, which is located east of the square on St. Louis street. The "Campbell Brothers" were prominent in their class in 1949 and 1950. Their biggest accomplishment being the first boxers from Springfield to win at The Star's Golden Gloves tournament of Champions at Kansas City. Dad always said he was the first since his match was before uncle Don's. From what I know about boxing matches like this the lower weight classes went first with the heavyweight class being last. The headlines with picture from a newspaper article reads: CAMPBELL BROTHERS WIN GLOVES CROWNS.

The article from 1949: "These are the five amateur boxers who carried the Springfield Newspapers' colors into last night's windup action at the Star's Golden Gloves tournament of champions at Kansas City, and two of them emerged with titles. It marks the first time Springfield has had winners at Kansas City. The fighters standing , are Charles Jones, Don Mobley, Donald Campbell, winner in the 160-pound novice class, Charles Ferry and Jimmy Campbell, winner in the 135 pound novice class. The boys were coached and trained at Kansas City by Bob Lee, left, and W.E. Ary, kneeling."

Aunt Colean writes in her letter, "When they won the Golden Gloves they were honored with a luncheon by the Lions club. C.E. Russel, who owned the club, bought each of them a new suit. Don wore his to get married."

Eventually Dad and Uncle Don went to college on boxing scholarships. Uncle Don went to SMS for a year and Dad went to Poteau Junior College (now Carl Albert Community College) in Poteau, Oklahoma.

It was interesting to note in the articles and pictures from Aunt Colean that Dad was listed as Jim Campbell, James Campbell, Jimmy Campbell and Jimmie Campbell. Mom told me you could tell where people knew Dad from by what they called him. Hmmm, seems like I can identify with that.

More rounds of boxing memories will follow, but this is a start. -30-



2 comments:

  1. I'm confused by the group picture. Which one is Grandpa? There are 8 people in the picture, and only 7 names you gave...and one says their kneeling (I don't see anyone kneeling).
    This is neat information to hear about. I'm glad you were able to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. The picture that goes with the article wasn't as good as this one. My dad is third one from the left. Uncle Don is third one from the right

    ReplyDelete