Sunday, March 22, 2009

Boxing: Round 2

Before I begin the next round of "boxing" I need to take care of a few housekeeping items. First of all, the picture posted previously did not match the article quoted. The picture with the article was not as good as the one posted. In that picture my dad is third from the left and Uncle Don is third from the right. Also, at the time of posting blogsI may not have an appropriate picture to go with the article. Should I find one I will add it to a post. You may want to check "old" posts to see if any pictures have been added. I hope you are enjoying "The Old Peanut Bag".

At the age of three we lived in Springfield, Missouri on Della Street. I do remember playing with boxing trophies that Dad had won. Great toys for a three year old. Since we lived in Springfield Dad would still go visit the 449 Club, see what was going on and give some pointers to young club members. It seems I remember the 449 Club was on Boonville street, south of Commercial and possibly across the street from Pippin (?) Jr. High. Whether this is accurate or not I don't know. This location seems to stand out because on some occassions Dad would take my cousin Mike Walsh and I with him. (Mike is Aunt Anita's son and one day younger than I) We would watch older boys hit punching bags, jump rope, shadow box and occassionaly get in the ring and spar with one another. A pair of children's size boxing gloves appeared at home (birthday? Easter? Christmas?) and Dad began to teach Mike and I some boxing basics. We learned how to make a fist, hold our hands up, jab and punch. We got so good with our skills that one night, Mike and I were in the ring of the 449 Club in a boxing match. The boys at the club had a good time watching us "mix it up" especially when we chased each other around the ring. In all the action, Mike was knocked down, hit the mat and started to cry. Dad picked him up and raised both of our hands as winners.
From time to time at home Mike and I would try to "recreate" the moment for aunts, uncles, Grandpa & Grandma Bear in our living room on Della. They too enjoyed the part where we chased each other in circles. -30-

2 comments:

  1. Dad, Your memory as a three year old astonishes me! I hope JC remembers things about being 3. I think Julia remembers a lot of things from that age. The best way to remember things is probably to continue talking about memories and keeping them alive like it happened yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing... I can't believe Grandma Rita let you go! That seems like something she would really worry about. I guess it's different being mom of so many boys...

    ReplyDelete