Monday, May 17, 2010

California, there I was


The beautiful buildings comprising the U.S. Naval Hospital are located in Balboa Park. They were constructed at a cost of over two million dollars to provide for the sick and injured officers and men of the U.S. Fleet.

Mom/Grandma Rita enjoys hearing the stories I put out on my blog. I will read a new blog to her and ask if she has any thing to add. On one occassion she asked if I would write a blog about San Diego. Kind of a hard challange. I was born in San Diego but my only memories are from what I've seen in pictures or what Mom has told me. So, I'll give a try at this.

The picture at the top of the blog is on a postcard that Mom sent to Grandma & Grandpa Bear, dated Aug. 22, 1953. It cost 2 cents to send. "Dear Folks, How are you all? Hope fine. Saw this card last night. Thought you might like to see the hospital I go to and some day will spend three or four days. Went to Sally's last night and bought bassinet. Are really proud of it. Really like our apartment too- Loads of love to you all. Jim & Rita."


I've shared with you before that Dad was in the Marine Corps in San Diego. The apartment Mom mentions was 3312 Convair Street and part of the base housing. Mom wrote in my baby book that Dr. Brink was in attendance on Nov. 30, 1953 when I was born at 8:33 pm. I weighed 6 lbs, 91/2 oz. It is interesting to note that Mom mentions spending 3 to 4 days in the hospital. Now days a 2 day hospital stay is considered long. At Mark's birth Mom mentioned that she asked to stay awake when Mark was born. I guess before that women were "asleep" during the delivery process.






Pictures displayed in this blog show our apartment number, 3312, Grandma Bear being there during Mom's recovery, Dad, Mom and I in a family picture, and my first swim. Other pictures I have show some of our neighbors and in the background of one you can see some vintage automobiles. There are also pictures of family trips to Tiajuana, Mexico, (I sat on a zebra) and Knott's Berry Farm. On our move back to Missouri a visit was made to the Grand Canyon.

Dad was in the Marines for at least 2 years. His platoon picture (Platoon 526) shows a date of 1952. A copy of the picture was mailed to his parents Dec. 27, 1952.
I'm not sure when we moved back to Missouri, but I do know my first birthday was celebrated in Springfield with my cousin Mike, born on December 1, 1953 and his mom, Aunt Anita, who's birthday is November 30. Enjoy the pictures and the few memories I was able to share with you. -30-

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this edition. Kind of hard to put the pieces together.
    I can read the journal entries several months before and after I was born.
    Reading this makes me want to take record of info on kids birthdays, etc. I try to with pictures and blogs, but it never seems enough.

    ReplyDelete