Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day Mom


In one of my previous blogs I mentioned that my Dad liked to fish. It was a hobby he enjoyed and apparently at one time Mom had enjoyed fishing too. At least that's what Dad indicated on one Mother's Day. I don't remember the year but I was probably in Junior High school. Dad thought my brothers and I were old enough to take care of ourselves on fishing trips so that Mom could fish if she wanted. So, for one Mother's Day, Dad bought Mom a fishing pole, fishing license and tackle box(?) After giving Mom the presents we loaded into our car and headed north to the Lake of the Ozarks. We went to a spot on the south end of the lake that would be near what is called the "Tunnel Dam" area, where the Niangua River begins to form a branch of the Lake.

We found a country store/gas station where we bought a few supplies and headed on down a gravel road to the spot Dad had selected. Parking on the side of the road we noticed one of the tires was beginning to go flat. Dad parked the car with the "leak" side down on the tire to slow it down while we fished. We would change the tire when we returned.

Down the hill, through the woods we went to the fishing spot. We fished, had very little luck and I'm sure Dad was busy with us boys. After a while we returned to the car and found not one flat tire, but two. It seems like the spare may have been flat too, but I'm not sure. Amazing as it may seem to you all, I'm not really sure how Dad took care of the tires or all the details of this day. But I do remember Mom saying she didn't want to go fishing anymore.

Happy Mother's Day Mom. -30-

No comments:

Post a Comment